Re: Debian's problems

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 06:58:51PM -0500, David Welton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 01:32:50AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 06:39:42PM -0500, David Welton wrote:
>
> > > I think what is being suggested is that we need a Linus figure,
> > > who can step in and say yes or no.  I think that that would be
> > > preferable and quicker than the current conglomeration of
> > > commitees, policies, etc etc.
>
> > Why? What we are experiencing here with Debian is working anarchy.
>
> Is it working?

I go into the local newspaper and magazine store of our train station here
in Bochum, and I see Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 on the shelve.

I see dozens of active people on the developers list.

I see thousands of users.

Yes, I think it is working.

I am not someone who closes his eye in front of problems. But exaggerating
isn't helping us, too. I see a lot of exaggeration these days.

> Some people don't think so.  I don't think it's all
> that dire, but OTOH, I would feel more comfortable with a benevolent
> dictator, kernel style meritocracy.

Well, of course it is convenient. But my point is that this convenience
could do us more harm than our temporary struggles-before-release.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server