Re: key length

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 16:03:43 +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> I just noticed that both my RSA as well as my DSA key are 1024 bits. Is
> this okay, or do I need a longer one?

A 512-bits RSA key has recently been cracked by fairly brute force, but
AFAIK the approach taken still is exponential in the number of bits.

Of course it's extremely difficult to predict what computing developments
there are going to be in the near and far future, but barring extremely
major breakthroughs (which few people believe possible), you should be
fairly safe.

> And one more question. Can a pgp user sign my gpg key?

A PGP5 user should be able to sign your GPG key AFAIK.

HTH,
Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go