Re: Debian's problems

Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > So if Joe developer usually takes 3 months to get a working, finished
> > > package of his extremely complex package 'foo' perfected, delaying
> > > unstable's appearance for 2 months will just change joe's time to 3+2 = 5
> > > months.
> > You've got a point. We do need some way of making Jim developer, with
> > release-critical (indeed, /any/ bugs) filed, realise it's really in
> > his best interests to fix them, though. Perhaps not allowing someone
> > to check in a new upload in unstable until release-critical bugs
> > in frozen are fixed?
>
> ``Hi. We're about to freeze, and your package still has release critical
> bugs, and as such, it's been moved to the newly created unstable.
> If you'd like this package to be included in the distribution, please
> resolve all the outstanding critical, grave and important bugs against
> this package and upload a fixed package by November 30.''

Correction: November 20th.  We need time to fix the inherited bugs that
may happen unexpectedly.  Apart from that, I agree, that we need such
a strong policy.

> Getting people to focus on fixing RC bugs all year round would be more
> useful, of course.

We need to change our policy wrt. our 300 small cathedrals.  It has
to be permitted to fix packages even if not working on that for a
month or so.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU GPL: "The source will be with you... always."