Re: LILO or GRUB

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 11:42:05PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First question:
> I've tried grub to boot the hurd and I liked it. I want to know if it
> is possible to install it onto the hard disk and how.

Refer to the GRUB documentation (Muhahahaha!) or ask on the grub mailing
list. Short answer: Run /sbin/grub and enter the correct install= command.

> Suggestion:
> It would be a good idea if the debian install let us choose to use
> lilo or grub (or loadlin) to boot the system. If somebody doesn't like
> grub, just use lilo.

We had a long discussion about this a few days ago. Summary is that GRUB is
not yet completely ready for prime-time, and that potato is too close to
include it in the default setup. But for the next release, it may very well
be an option.

> Grub could be better for novice users... (saying about
> the interface).

OTOH, it is not obvious how to install it. But I know from the developers
that things are going to improve soon.

Thanks,
Marcus

--