Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

Sven Rudolph wrote:
> General question: Is a program required to work even when some files
> of a package were deleted?

No.

> Why do you believe to be allowed to remove /usr/doc/lprng ? What about
> deleting lpq or lpd too?

Some time ago [1], we talked about modifying dpkg so it would be able to omit
installing files into certian directories specified in a file somewhere.
This has obvious benefists for /usr/share (if you actually share it from
elsewhere), and for /usr/doc or /usr/share/doc (if you have very low disk
space and don't need docs on say, a dedicated router).

So though it's not in policy or anything, we sort of have a consensus, I
think, that a package shouldn't rely on its docs being present.

--
see shy jo

[1] Probably 1 or 2 years.