Re: GRUB (as default boot loader)

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 09:36:08PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:

(start of discussion snipped, because it was on -private).

> What I worry about is interoperability with other OS's on the same machine.
> The one time I installed GRUB (a long time ago, when there was a configure
> script), I somehow managed to trash the dos partition on the same box,
> rendering it unusable.

GRUB can chainload any OS reliable. It has improved, so I believe the bug
you encountered is fixed. I use it without problems.

The advantage of GRUB is that it supports the multiboot standard, which is
needed to boot the Hurd. Lilo can't boot the Hurd.

The only missing piece is a nice configuration front end. Gordon Matzigkeit
is working on this, I believe.

So, it is too early to switch to GRUB, but the time may come rather soon.
Maybe in Potato+1 or +2?

Thanks,
Marcus

--