Re: Multibyte encoding - what should a package provide?

> > Well, actually, we have three groups:
> >
> > - English-speaking people, who are fine with US-ASCII,
> > - European-languages-speaking people, who are quite happy with 8bits ISO-8859-* and locales,
> > - Asian-languages-speaking people, who need Unicode (and therefore multibyte).
>
> It's nonsense.

IMHO, please use LOCALE system and wchar_t.  In the future, when
glibc 2.2? is released, Japanese and other several languages
will be supported, I hope.
Does someone (especially in Asia) agree with me?

Please note, Unicode is not popular at all in Asia. I am sure
there are very very few people using Unicode in Japan. Instead,
EUC-JP is popular for UNIX and SHIFT-JIS is the OS's coding
system for Windows/Macintosh in Japan.  I guess EUC-KR is popular
in Korea (Am I right? -- I guessed from http://www.debian.org/index.ko.html).

You may find that www.debian.org/index.ja.html is written in
ISO-2022-JP, not EUC-JP.  This is based on a certain technical
reason.

Yes, I accepted Tcl/Tk 8.2 which uses utf-8. This program has an
automatic code conversion faculty in the case of input/output and
it uses utf-8 only internally.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>