Re: Release-critical Bugreport for September 3, 1999

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 12:15:05AM -0500, BugScan reporter wrote:
> Bug stamp-out list for Sep  3 00:03 (CST)
>
> Total number of release-critical bugs: 243

Can we clarify the meaning of "release-critical"?

Many of these bugs are certainly critical bugs in their respective
packages. However, the package's priority within the distribution must
be taken in to account when describing a bug as release-critical,
I would think. As an example:

> Package: apache (main)
> Maintainer: Johnie Ingram <johnie@debian.org>
>   42741  info2www: Missing GIFs in /doc/info2www/

Missing GIF files are critical to the entire Debian system?

> Package: debian-keyring (contrib)
> Maintainer: James Troup <keyring-maint@debian.org>
>   43536  debian-keyring: Non self-signed keys

Is this critical to the release of Debian?

> Package: disc-cover (main)
> Maintainer: Bart Warmerdam <bartw@debian.org>
>   43693  disc-cover: disc-cover doesn't work at all

(I picked these examples at random, as good examples of how, IMHO,
a bug critical within a package is not critical to the entire release).
I think some perspective is needed. They are certainly nasty bugs
within those packages, I won't disagree with that.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).