Help: Non-dpkg installed packages

Hi Debian developers,

	I have been using Debian 2.1 for last 5 months now. It is an
excellent distribution BTW. I normally prefer to install packages the
debian way, however, I had to compile a few packages the non-debian way
since there were no latest .deb files available and also I found it too
complicated to debianise sources for these packages. Compiling using
conventional ./configure make and make install was much easier. For
example, I found Lesstif 0.88.9 to be much easier to build the non-debian
way. But since it was not installed the debian way, dpkg doesn't know
about it and won't install packages that depend on Lesstif. I would like
to know whether it is possible to somehow trick dpkg into believing that
Lesstif is installed. If it is possible, how can this be accomplished?

Thanks.
---
Amal Phadke, Ph.D Candidate
Department of Ocean and Resources Engineering, SOEST
University of Hawaii at Manoa

Email: phadke@oe.eng.hawaii.edu | WWW: http://oe.eng.hawaii.edu/~phadke