Re: building zlib on the Ultra

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 01:16:40PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > > altgcc can not be built on the Ultra, and provides the following:
> > >
> > >    This appears to be a sparc64-unknown-linux system.
> > >    Configuration sparc64-unknown-linux not supported
> > >    make: *** [build] Error 1
> >
> > This is a problem with conflicting uname -m. UltraSPARC port is currently
> > considered a sparc-linux platform (sparc32 running under sparc64). I have
> > submitted a bug against shellutils so that when FAKE_SPARC=yes is set in
> > the env, uname -m will report sparc and not sparc64.
> >
> Well, hopefully it will not be a problem, unless there is something else
> that requires its use...

The only reason it will be there is to aid in compiling sparc32 binaries
on sparc64 systems. Thus it fakes autoconf and friends when detecting the
system type. I have this in use on the buildd system, since it too is an
UltraSPARC. The buildd user runs in a constant FAKE_SPARC environment and
I have observed no problems so far.

IIRC, RedHat has something similar, but I forget the exact implementation
they use.

Ben