Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense

In <[🔎] 19990901225542.L331@ulysses.ulysses.de> (Sep.02 1999 05:55 JST),
``Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense'',
Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de says:
[...]
=   But of course your point is well taken. There are always exceptions to
=   general rules, and nobody says that there must never be such a thing as a
=   -ja package. Only in most cases we want a merge.

I understand what the most of developers consider problem is
a isolation of each one's eforts because of a lack of communication.
When the discussion was started, I worried about ``forking, itself,
is already absurd enough.'' or such kind of opinion.

=   Consider that someone has a japanese friend and he comes to visit him and
=   then he wants to show his computer. Wouldn't it be great if everyone on the
=   whole world can switch on japanese output/input by setting LC_ALL to ja,
=   without installing additional packages?

Well, although the locale-related stuff is a important part of i18n,
it doesn't equal to all of i18n, maybe you know, but -- yes, you're
right, it would be nice.

[...]
=   Let me finish this mail by thanking you and the whole Debian - JP group as
=   well as all the japanese free software developers for working on the
=   software and i18n. It's so important, and only you can do this work. Keep up
=   the good work! (And don't forget to share it with us).

I've often thought that the i18n does not only mean making a software
work properly on anywhere in the world, but also mean gathering each
one's particular knowledge about each part of the world. Merging the
patch is still just the _beginning_, not the _goal_.  The goal is so
far, but I think we can go pretty better way.  Thank you.

--
Ken Nakagaki