Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

At Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:32:57 +0900,
Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> wrote:

> joey> Package: tcl8.0-ja
> joey> Package: tk8.0-ja
>
> Hmm, Tcl and Tk ja patch will not cause any problem on English
> environment. I think original Tcl/Tk maintainer can adopt ja patched
> version.

I have aleady contacted to the tcl/tk's maintainer and it is decided that
they are to be separated from original tcl/tk so that the fact:

> I heard new Tcl/Tk will implement Unicode support.

Becase new tcl/tk8.1 is inmplementing Unicode support, we will be not
to need -ja. But tcl/tk8.1 is not currently released and dupload to
Debian, too. So I need to dupload them to Debian as temporary needs.
(I think of Debian as the pool of all free software, not of Debian-JP.)

I need them *now*, not the future when making them merge, so
if the new version is released, I will withdraw them and orphan it.

We, I and tcl/tk's maintainer, compare the effort to merge with
the effort to wait and choose the latter :)

----
Masato Taruishi <taruis-m@jed.uec.ac.jp> | University of Electro Communications
                <taru@debian.or.jp>      |   Department of Computer Science
                <taru@sunicom.co.jp>     |              Senior
http://airs.net/~taru/                   |      Chofu city Tokyo, JAPAN
   Key fingerprint = 49 46 74 E1 8D D1 EB 56  8D CA 2A 20 14 9E A9 25