Re: A [partial] alternative to animated GIf

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 12:18:07PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

>                                                                      ^^^
> > Of course, but what I mean is that you can do animations from a *single* file : there is no need to send a ton of requests.
> > The technique is also useful, for example when you want to put buttons for the navigation : if you want to simulate the ON, and CLICK events, you need to download different images. This is very slow. Here, you can create, in a *unique* and *small* file
> basic images that are good enough.
> > I'm writing a small JavaScript "library" with functions to rotate, mirror, negativize or buttonize a single image described in an ascii format ( with "RLE" basic compression).
>
> Seems quite nice.  The only problem I have is, whether it could be done
> also with JPG format instead of the xbm format.

This is theoretically possible ( you can assign a string as the source of the image), but this is actually almost useless : JPEG format is far too complex to be handle easily in a script.

BTW, I will send a "broadcast" message to advertise the disponibility of the explanations in english.

Best Regs.
--
Thierry LARONDE
thierry.laronde@polynum.com

"unctuous : used about somebody who pretends to put balm on your wounds, when,
at the very time, by way of preliminaries, he's just oiling your arse."
	Adrien Herryolt, "Le glossaire des Précieuses"