Re: Senseless Bickering and Overpoliticization

On 31 Aug 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org> writes:
>
> > >  And most importantly,
> > > how can we get people away from wasting their time insulting others on
> > > mailing lists and instead work on the distribution?
> >
> > I see. So you slag off dpkg-dselects' maintainers (if you read
> > debian-dpkg, you would realise that a whole bunch of bugs have been fixed
> > over the long weekend), and then complain about people insulting others?
>
> I challenge you to show me where I directly insulted any specific
> person.  All I did was make comments about software.  Correct ones.  I
> am not going to sugar-coat the facts; either doing that or attacking a
> person is personalization, which I am trying to avoid.

OK, so maybe no "specific person" was insulted, but in the bit you removed
of my email, I quoted:

> > > dpkg is writhing away in the abyss, dselect is bordering on
> > > uselessness,

Which (IMO, granted) was insulting, given the inaccuracy of the statement

> It's good to see bugs fixed, but the system has serious design
> problems and lacks important features that are present in the other
> major system.

In which case, I suggest you move this thread to debian-dpkg, and air your
dpkg grievances there, or via the BTS. IMHO dpkg is a very useful piece of
software, and I'm not sure which "important features" you consider it to
lack.

Regards,

Matthew