Re: Senseless Bickering and Overpoliticization

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 10:05:59PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org> writes:
>
> > >  And most importantly,
> > > how can we get people away from wasting their time insulting others on
> > > mailing lists and instead work on the distribution?
> >
> > I see. So you slag off dpkg-dselects' maintainers (if you read
> > debian-dpkg, you would realise that a whole bunch of bugs have been fixed
> > over the long weekend), and then complain about people insulting others?
>
> I challenge you to show me where I directly insulted any specific
> person.  All I did was make comments about software.  Correct ones.  I
> am not going to sugar-coat the facts; either doing that or attacking a
> person is personalization, which I am trying to avoid.
>
> It's good to see bugs fixed, but the system has serious design
> problems and lacks important features that are present in the other
> major system.

John -

  I agree with you, and I know for a fact that it's being worked on.
Remember that BenC and Wichert are working on dpkgv2; check it out, the
design concept is quite intriguing.

I do believe they made an official announcement a while ago. Check back in
the archives for some pointers.

And remember, dpkg's current state is nothing anyone should be afraid to
bring up. it's simply reaching a ripe old age, and is suffering the
complications that normally follow that state. This happens to every
software project.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and
	those who can't.