Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

Hi,

31 Aug 1999 09:42:14 +0200, Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> wrote about Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja) (<[🔎] xno4shgqtux.fsf@vile.diku.dk>):
peter> Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> writes:
peter> > jnethack: *
peter> > 	This is Japanese handling and many enhancement patched version.
peter> > 	It is too different from original version.
peter> > 	I can't find patch URL... Please teach me.
peter>
peter> Hmmm, I didn't think this was possible. Without knowing what the
peter> special japanese stuff is I think you're right.

I've read patch file again, and I found this patch replaces all of
messages in English to in Japanese.
So, this can't change messages by LANG variable.
This seems perfectly localized software ...

peter> > xpostit-ja:
peter> > 	This is X11R6 I18N handling patched version.
peter> > 	This hasn't existed on Debian yet, so this package could rename 'xpostit' or 'xpostit-i18n'.
peter> > 	I can't find patch URL... Please teach me.
peter>
peter> If there is no xpostit and the i18n parts doesn't breaks anything I
peter> see no need for a special tag on the package name.
peter>
peter> Are you sure that xpostit is free. I found the following package
peter> non-free/x11/xpostitplus

xpostit-ja copyright:
 * Copyright 1991 by David A. Curry
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its
 * documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
 * the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
 * notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation.  The
 * author makes no representations about the suitability of this software for
 * any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.

It seems DFSG freeware.

At now, 'xpostit-ja' maintainer is Mr.Arafune, who is Debian official
maintainer. Maybe he will upload this.

OK? > Arafune san :-)
--
Kenshi Muto