Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

Hi,

31 Aug 1999 20:22:55 +0900, Changwoo RYU <cwryu@adam.kaist.ac.kr> wrote about Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja) (<[🔎] 87lnas42k0.fsf@dor17988.kaist.ac.kr>):
cwryu> Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
cwryu> > > lynx-ja: *
cwryu> > > 	This is NLS handling patched version.
cwryu> >
cwryu> > Then it's improperly named.  Why can't standard lynx support NLS?
cwryu>
cwryu> I just checked the source because I have known lynx already supported
cwryu> NLS.  It seems to be disabled in upstream.  I don't know why.

Hmm, I don't know details of this package.
This package maintainer is Mr.Kohda.

What is difference between 'lynx' and 'lynx-ja', Kohda san?

cwryu> > SUMMARY:

cwryu> > Again, I'm not trying to pick on you or disrespect the work you've
cwryu> > done.  i18n and l10n is hard and thankless.  I think there's just a
cwryu> > process/communications breakdown here.  We let this go too long
cwryu> > without doing anything about it.
cwryu>
cwryu> IMHO, the Japanese hackers (patch creators) tend to make barriers
cwryu> around their patches.  I know many "Japanese" patches are general i18n
cwryu> ones.  But many of them do never reach to the upstreams at all, while
cwryu> the patches are well known to Japanese user groups.  (I don't blame
cwryu> anyone.  Unfortunately, so do Korean hackers.  This fact really
cwryu> irritates me.)

I fully agree, Ryu.
It is very serious problem.

Most Japanese people think 'Non-native English(it means English
speaker)' is very strong obstacle.
In fact, many Japanese people have shame on speaking or writing English.

At first, I also shame on speaking and writing. :-)
--
Kenshi Muto
kmuto@debian.org