Re: Senseless Bickering and Overpoliticization

[ I am not a Debian developer ]

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 09:23:07AM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> We really need a system of representative decision making in
> Debian.  We are too far into the Bazaar mentality, such that no
> decisions are ever made, and there are no responsible parties to
> decide when argument has been exhausted and *SOMEONE* needs to
> say "this is how it will be."  While that may be distasteful to
> the true anarchist/libertarian types, the increasing length of
> time between releases and the overall slow grinding of our
> organizational gears shows that something needs to be done.

I agree fully. I was thinking of suggesting something like this before, but
didn't know exactly how. Your suggestion hits the bulls-eye.

> We should probably elect various persons in our group to be
> in charge of various activities or sections of the archive.
> These people would then be a smaller subset of "arguers", and
> consensus should be more readily reached.
>
> I think this would streamline things tremendously.  I for one
> could care less if we use /usr/doc vs. /usr/share/doc, etc.,
> and would just like to know how our distribution wants to do
> it -- and then get on with the business of building the greatest
> distribution out there.
>
> Why do we waste so much time on all of this minutia?  It doesn't
> amount to a hill of beans.

agreed

Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee