Re: usr/man vs usr/share/man?

On 31-Aug-99, 07:28 (CDT), "Ivan E. Moore II" <rkrusty@tdyc.com> wrote:
> Ok,  I know the issues with the doc dir, but I haven't seen mention of
> the man dir.  Is this hold with the FHS also to include the man dir as well?

To the best of my knowledge, no, it is not on hold. The main fracas over
/usr/doc vs. /usr/share/doc was that during the transition, packages
would be using both locations, and users would not know where to look.
For /usr/man (and /usr/info), the tools that read from those dirs have
been modified to look in both /usr/man and /usr/share/man, and thus the
transition is transparent to the users -- very few people habitually use
'nroff -man /usr/man/man1/ls.1.gz'

Steve