about dvips

Hello all,

This is only my private proposal and definitely not a bug.

There are tetex-bin-1.0.5/texk/dvipsk/contrib/volker/duplong.cfg
and dupshort.cfg, simplex.cfg which are very useful when
one print dvi files in duplex printing.

Of course printer should have duplex printing ability.

I can not find these files in current tetex-* packages so I
wish to propose that

- some tetex package should include these files in perhaps
  /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/

- It may be better to be set up in config.ps like

  h duplong.cfg

  at least as comment.

Furthermore if config.ps is a bit modified then automatic selection
of appropriate paper size tray can be done. It is rather long
so I only show a4 and letter size modification but if necessary
I will send every entry needed.

@ a4 210mm 297mm
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
@+ %%PaperSize: a4
@+ %%BeginPaperSize: a4
@+ /setpagedevice where {
@+   pop 1 dict dup /PageSize [ 595 842 ] put setpagedevice
@+ } {
@+   statusdict /a4tray known {
@+     statusdict begin a4tray end
@+     /a4 where { pop a4 } if
@+   } {
@+     /a4 where {
@+       pop a4
@+     } {
@+       statusdict /setpage known {
@+         statusdict begin
@+           595 842 0 setpage
@+         end
@+       } if
@+     } ifelse
@+   } ifelse
@+ } ifelse
@+ %%EndPaperSize

@ letter 8.5in 11in
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: Letter
@+ %%PaperSize: Letter
@+ %%BeginPaperSize: Letter
@+ /setpagedevice where {
@+   pop 1 dict dup /PageSize [ 612 792 ] put setpagedevice
@+ } {
@+   statusdict /lettertray known {
@+     statusdict begin lettertray end
@+     /letter where { pop letter } if
@+   } {
@+     /letter where {
@+       pop letter
@+     } {
@+       statusdict /setpage known {
@+         statusdict begin
@+           612 792 0 setpage
@+         end
@+       } if
@+     } ifelse
@+   } ifelse
@+ } ifelse
@+ %%EndPaperSize

Thanks in advance,		1999.8.31

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>