Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> tetex-bin provides texi2html, so I tried to build tetex-bin: which needs
> flex to be installed, which needs byacc in order to build flex, and byacc
> is built using debhelper. debhelper will not build (I believe because perl
> is not installed...heaven forbid that perl be built with debhelper!), so I
> simply installed the binary-all package.

I've done the same with sparc and more recently arm.. It is shocking the
number of packages I wanted to compile that couldn't be because of some
weird source depends on some obscure package. I needed these packages to
get the new ARM box up so I just brute forced the rules file..

What I'd like to see is the ability to not compile some packages from a
multi-binary source package. I -really- don't need socksified ssh, 'xjed',
etc..

Jason