Re: Hardcopy and info/html document from same source?

On Saturday 28 August 1999, at 12 h 14, the keyboard of
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Panu_H=E4llfors?= <panupa@iki.fi> wrote:

> Thus, since I need both a hardcopy manual (not necessarily with
> state-of-the-art layout but something readable) and info and/or html
> documentation I'd really like to write the documentation only once and just
> format it in different ways. What's the best way to do this?

There are several.

I use SGML (actually, XML, which is a subset of SGML, so the Debian SGML tools
continue to work). You can ask details on the debian-sgml list. Unfortunately,
the SGML tools lack documentation, specially HOWTO.

A very little known way to write documentation is to use the POD format, which
is *not* Perl specific. You can get Postscript or man pages (or HTML) from it.

> And what about if I tell that the documentation may also be written by a
> Windows-user who's used to play with tools with a GUI?

Fire him?

> Is there an easy program with GUI (or a menu-based tool at least) that
> can be used to write info pages or some other format which converts to
> both html and hardcopy?

Emacs + psgml is fine for writing SGML/XML.