Re: new LaTeX2e

> But I have few more questions about tetex package.
>
> 1. If LaTeX is separated (multi-)package from tetex, then
> at least it is easy to update personally part of LaTeX.
> How about this ?

Don't even think about it: as has just been found out, there are too
many dependencies between the rest of the texmf stuff and LaTeX for
this to be wise.  Thomas Esser just explained that the reason he has
waited for a while without putting the new LaTeX into teTeX is that
there was a bug in Babel which meant that the new LaTeX would fail
under certain conditions.  But it'll be there soon.

So I guess that your new LaTeX package will have to divert all of the
old LaTeX stuff somewhere safe.  Ugh.

> 2. To make Japanized LaTeX's format file (*.fmt), at least *.ltx
> ltdirchk.dtx docstrip.dtx ltvers.dtx are needed in
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base. This situation may occur in other
> revised LaTeX (I am not sure if there are really any other such LaTeX).
> Isn't it better to include above files in some package, for example,
> in tetex-dev ?

This is really a TeX/LaTeX implementation question, and affects far
more than just Debian's packaging of it, as far as I can tell
(AFAICT).  The teTeX mailing list would be a good place to ask these
questions (tetex@informatik.uni-hannover.de).

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg