Re: Release-critical Bugreport for August 27, 1999

On 99-08-27 BugScan reporter wrote:
> Package: abiword (main)
> Maintainer: Darren Benham <gecko@debian.org>
> [REMOVE] This package can be removed if it is not fixed.
>   41980  abiword_0.7.3-1(unstable): m68k configuration missing

According to the emails in the BTS this bug will be fixed in the next
release of abiword.

> [STRATEGY] abiword and abi-fonts can be removed when abisuite is packaged
>   42778  abiword_0.7.4-1(unstable): build uses non-free unzip

A fix for this problem would be to modify the Makefile, which seems to
be not so easy.

> Package: adduser (main)
> Maintainer: Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>
>   43345  adduser: addgroup creates a user
>   43461  Adduser with --system --group misbehaves with nscd running.
>   43540  adduser: chokes when using nscd

These bugs should be examined by someone who is good in perl programming
as adduser is a perl-script and nothing more.

> Package: apache (main)
> Maintainer: Johnie Ingram <johnie@debian.org>
>   42741  info2www: Missing GIFs in /doc/info2www/

This is a bug in the package info2www and not apache and so I will
assigned it to this package instead.

>   43100  php3: Apache still dumps core if I enable php3

> Package: apsfilter (main)
> Maintainer: Matej Vela <vela@debian.org>
> [REMOVE] This package can be removed if it is not fixed.
>   42157  apsfilter: apsfilter messes with $QUEUE

A fixed package has been made by Torsten Landschoff and can be found at
http://www.debian.org/~torsten/qa/.

> Package: cvs-buildpackage (main)
> Maintainer: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
>   43409  patch to work around bug 24585 in CVS

Applied the fix and made a new package that can be found at
http://www.debian.org/~shoryt/qa/.

> Package: debian-keyring (contrib)
> Maintainer: James Troup <keyring-maint@debian.org>
>   43536  debian-keyring: Non self-signed keys

Could somebody provide a list which keys are not self-signed, so that
the maintaines can fix it?

> Package: debianutils (main)
> Maintainer: Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>
>   41636  debianutils: [patch] `mkboot' doesn't find LILO signature.
> [STRATEGY] There is a plausible patch in the report

Applied the patch and made a new version which can be found at
http://master.debian.org/~shorty/qa/.

> Package: emacs20 (main)
> Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
>   33237  /etc/alternatives/emacs not managed properly - /usr/bin/emacs doesn't run emacs20
> [STRATEGY] Maintainer will fix this next week.

What means next week exactly?

> Package: ger-eng (main)
> Maintainer: Matthias Kabel <mkabel@debian.org>
>   43339  Package ger-eng is the same as trans-de-en

This is IMHO a bug against ftp.debian.org and not against the package
itself, so I adviced the maintainer to close the bug and report a bug
against ftp.debian.org

> Package: gmc (main)
> Maintainer: Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org>
>   40943  gmc: mcedit link missing
> [STRATEGY] New upstream version will probably fix this.

This bug is easy to fix and I think there's no need to wait for the new
upstream release.

> Package: gnu-pop3d (main)
> Maintainer: Sean E. Perry <shaleh@debian.org>
>   42760  gnu-pop3d: inetd tries to invoke ids-pop3d

Easy to fix and so I made a new paket with the fix which can be found at
http://master.debian.org/~shorty/qa/.

> Package: hylafax-server (main)
> Maintainer: Christophe Le Bars <clebars@debian.org>
>   43218  Purging hylafax-server removes /var/spool/fax!

This bug can easily be fixed, but the other adnotation in the bugreport
needs a examination.

> Package: imagemagick (main)
> Maintainer: Scott K. Ellis <scott@debian.org>
>   43424  imagemagick: Jpeg support broken

Fixed in the new version in incoming. [1]

> Package: ircd (main)
> Maintainer: Johnie Ingram <johnie@debian.org>
>   37103  ircd: potential security hole

I would suggest investigating if ircd needs to be sgid-root or not.

> Package: libglade0 (main)
> Maintainer: Paolo Molaro <lupus@debian.org>
>   43363  libglade0: glade (and glade-gnome) depend on libxml0, but should depend on libxml1

This bug would just need a recompilation of libglade0, but it's not on
my mirror available, so I can't check this.

> Package: libpam-doc (main)
> Maintainer: Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
>   41608  libpam-doc: The postscripts files do not contain any text

Fixed this bug. A new version of libpam-doc can be found at
http://master.debian.org/~shorty/qa/.

> Package: libreadlineg2 (main)
> Maintainer: Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>
>   36016  libreadlineg2 should use Pre-Dependencies on shared libraries
> [STRATEGY] Change Depends to Pre-Depends in libreadlineg2 and libreadline2;
> recompile for stable, too

Anthony Towns provided a fix for this bug, so this bug gets hopefully
fixed and closed soon.

> Package: libxml1 (main)
> Maintainer: Fredrik Hallenberg <hallon@debian.org>
>   43519  libxml1: Conflict with libxml0

This bug has been fixed in version 1.4.0-4 of libxml1.

> Package: linbot (main)
> Maintainer: Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq@quoininc.com>
>   41345  linbot: Remove versioned dependencies on python-net and python-misc

Easy to fix, can be done in about 15 minutes.

> Package: man-db (main)
> Maintainer: Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@debian.org>
>   38107  man-db Japanese support quick hack

The patch seems to be an acceptable quick Hack but I wasn't able due
apply it and compile man-db due to an error in the compilation process.

> Package: netstd (main)
> Maintainer: Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
>   41020  netstd: Fails to install: conflict

Not trivial to fix.

>   42238  netstd: the package has a bogus predependency to ncurses3.4

Fixed in netstd-3.07-7slink3.

> Package: perlmagick (main)
> Maintainer: Scott K. Ellis <scott@debian.org>
>   42855  perlmagick dies: undefined symbol: SetWarningHandler

Fixed by the new version in incoming. [1]

> Package: ppp (main)
> Maintainer: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
>   42030  ppp: IPX support bug in ppp 2.3.8

Applied the patch and made a new version, which can be found at
http://master.debian.org/~shorty/qa/.

> Package: ppp-pam (main)
> Maintainer: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
>   38639  ppp-pam auth. security problem

This bug should go to the upstream.

> Package: proftpd (main)
> Maintainer: Johnie Ingram <johnie@debian.org>
>   38229  normal users cannot login

It seems that this can easily be fixed by changing the default
configuration.

>   42516  ls -lRat recurses infinitely

This one should go upstream as it seems to effect the complete source.

> Package: smail (main)
> Maintainer: Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>
>   35092  smail crashes!

Well, I tried to fix some bugs of smail and created a new version. This
can also be found on http://master.debian.org/~shorty/qa/.

> Package: sudo (main)
> Maintainer: Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
>   43266  sudo: Long passwords are truncated

This bug needs some examination.

> Package: swish++ (main)
> Maintainer: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
>   43417  swish++: Does not compile and is not up to date.

Well with some minor fixes of debian/rules I could make a new swish++
package which can also be found at http://master.debian.org/~shorty/qa/.

> Package: telnet (main)
> Maintainer: Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
>   43580  telnet: can't compile from source

This bug-report should go upstream, as I fixed the configure procedure
but then found another bug in the compilation process which isn't easy
to fix and better should be done by the upstream maintainer.

> Package: telnet-ssl (non-US)
> Maintainer: Christoph Martin <christoph.martin@uni-mainz.de>
>   43577  telnet-ssl: does not compile from source

This bug should in my opinion sent to the upstream maintainers for
fixing.

> Package: theme-converters (main)
> Maintainer: Steve Haslam <araqnid@debian.org>
>   42154  theme-converters: Error when running wmakerthemetodeb.  Can't locate object method "new" via package "MD5".

Fixed this bug, a new version can be found at
http://master.debian.org/~shorty/qa/.

> Package: util-linux (main)
> Maintainer: Vincent Renardias <vincent@debian.org>
>   37657  util-linux: hwclock --systohc dangerous
>   41263  hwclock --adjust doesn't work (temporary fix included)
>   42556  util-linux: hwclock: Continually messes up my clock

Seems as this bugs needs to be inspect by someone with a good knowledge
of C.

> Package: vchkpw (contrib)
> Maintainer: Tommi Virtanen <tv@debian.org>
>   43200  vchkpw: Problem in init.d script

As a temporary fix I removed the Option from the init-script, which is
responsible for this bug. This fixed package can also be found at
http://master.debian.org/~shorty/qa/.

> Package: w3-msql (non-free)
> Maintainer: Martin Schulze <joey@debian.org>
>   43169  [veille@NEUROCOM.COM: Stupid bug in W3-msql]

According to the message in the BTS Joey plans to remove this package.

> Package: watchdog (main)
> Maintainer: Johnie Ingram <johnie@debian.org>
>   34895  type conversion problem

Could somebody please check this, but it seems as this has been fixed
with the new upstream version?

> Package: xtranslate (main)
> Maintainer: Matthias Kabel <mkabel@debian.org>
>   43136  xtranslate: depends on translate, but translate is not in potato

Well, on my mirror translate is available for potato, so this report can
in my opinion be closed.

Cheers
       Christian

[1] Got the permission of the maintainer to fix it.
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *