Re: debian first in slashdot poll

Wednesday, August 25, 1999, 8:43:59 AM, Steve wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

>> Wednesday, August 25, 1999, 12:20:53 AM, Joop wrote:
>> > Maybe the poll does not say much, to me this is important:
>> > people still like to use debian. But why? Here are some
>> > ideas...
>>
>>     How about:  You can compile you're own kernel.  The last Debian kernel
>> I used is whatever got installed with Hamm on my laptop.  Both my laptop and
>> my main box have 2.2.x on them.  Big whoop.

> Are there any dists where you can't compile your own kernel? Certainly,
> you can with RH.

    My point is that the issue of Slink shipping with 2.0.36 is irrelevant
because you can compile your own kernel.  In fact, of all the components of
this OS in which the "latest and greatest" means the least is the kernel
because one should recompile it with the needs of the specific box that it
will be running on.