Re: new static uid/gid needed (ups)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Another problem with static IDs -- only new installations will get them.
> /etc/passwd obviously isn't replaced when you upgrade base-passwd, and
> there's nothing in the postinst to try to add missing static accounts.

Sounds strange - it's bug or feature? Anyway, in _my_ postinst I would
happily create these accounts if they are allocated.

It seemed so easy (quoting from debian policy manual):

   0-99:
          Globally allocated by the Debian project, must be the same on
          every Debian system. These ids will appear in the passwd and
          group files of all Debian systems, new ids in this range being
          added automatically as the base-passwd package is updated.

          Packages which need a single statically allocated uid or gid
          should use one of these; their maintainers should ask the
          base-passwd maintainer for ids.

I've mailed the maintainer 3 times already (no response). Here I've been
only told to use dynamic ones, what I'd rather not. Please help.

--
jozef  :-)