Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Justin Wells wrote:

> So you need a way to get a root shell, without rebooting. That means
> you either need to log in as root (where root's shell is sash), or
> else su to root.

[or log in as that other uid=0 user]

> sulogin is needed in case you switch runlevels, dropping to single
> user mode without rebooting, via a direct call to init.

I think you can do this without sulogin. Use the built-in 'ed' or 'echo'
to output a runlevel to /etc/initrunlvl, then send SIGHUP to init
(remember, kill and ps are built-in to sash as well). If you just want to
reboot, send SIGINT to pretend ctrl-alt-del. I haven't tried these yet,
but the init man page says you can do it...