Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

Justin Wells wrote:
> I lost / and /usr (IDE cable fell out, that's pretty good for "dies
> completely") and as a result of having static bins, was still able
> to continue to execute commands that had recently been cached. I
> shut everything down nicely, copied some data off the machine, and
> then waited to see just how long it would take to crash (~ 30min).

You keep repeating this as an example.  But how do you know it
wouldn't have worked with dynamic binaries?  In fact it seems much
more likely to work that way.  The binaries are much smaller, so
there's a better chance that they're completely in the cache.  And
libc itself is pretty likely to be cached as well.

Richard Braakman
(considers yanking on some IDE cables)