Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

Nope. ssh invokes the command you request by calling your shell,
with the '-c' argument, so if your shell is dynamically linked, sh
will fail to exec it, and your command (sash) won't get run.

I checked the man page, and fortunately sash does support the
standard -c argument, so setting your shell to sash would allow
this kind of login. You could also use ash, bash, csh, tcsh, zsh,
or anything else you liked--providing it was static. Since ash is
small and fairly standard, it's a good choice. The advantage of
'sash' is that we've all already agreed it should be there.

Justin