Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

Thursday, August 19, 1999, 4:23:39 AM, Marek wrote:
> Hmm... You still have problems reading what somebody else typed? Read the
> last line of the quoted sentence above yours. Hint - there's a phrase "can
> deselect it" - does it ring a bell for you?

    Does the phrase "Should be selected in the first place" mean anything to
you.  You can deselect required packages as well, you know.  Point is people
shouldn't have to deselect things they don't want which aren't required.

> Nor it is up to you. Every admin has to determine it on his own.
> Nevertheless, the tools should be there. Not used by default, but usable
> on emergency.

    Says who?  That is up to the local administrator.  You are advocating
bloat to where if the person doesn't want it (for many good reasons I have
pointed out many times) they have to remove it.  If they need disaster
recovery, they will take steps towards that end either through means external
to Debian (redundant hardware, UPSs, etc), boot disks (acceptable for
workstations/home use) or they will *choose* to install.

> Oh geez (you like that one, do you?) - sash is an interactive sheel, I use
> it on the root account all the time. I wonder how do I do that??? Maybe you
> should run sash at least once?

    I did.  I have explained this in my message to Justin.

>> A better option is to make an alternative UID 0 user with sash that is not
>> root. However, this introduces a security hole.
> Bullshit. That account won't be used by sulogin.

   I never said it was.  The point stands that it is another UID 0 user to
keep track of and one that could have a publicly known password.

> yes, because we are unable to recognize your wisdom.

    At least you got that part right.