Re: [PROPOSAL] Archive audit, cruft removal, unmaintained packages

On Wed 18 Aug 1999, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 06:41:17AM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > Ben Collins wrote:
> > > This group will go through the archive (either manually or using
> > > internally created scripts) and generate detailed lists of dangling
> > > source/packages and post them for removal via the BTS and/or direct email
> > > to the archive maintainers.
> >
> > This is not necessary.  We have such scripts, we run them
> > occasionally, and clean up some packages.  We just haven't had much
> > time lately.  Filing bugreports with this same information will just
> > add more work to the process.
>
> It seems to be to be less work. If some one else takes the time to atleast
> come up with a list of cruft that needs to be removed and takes the time
> to research each one and determine the course in which to remove it, then
> all you have to do is "rm -f cruft_file" (and update the archive database
> of course).

I've also noticed that a couple of the national mirrors I've looked that
are not up to date. For example, ftp.ca.debian.org has the wrong version
of the isdnutils source, in _slink_ (3.0-8 instead of 3.0-9). A mirror
being behind by a couple of days, OK, but 7 months?!  Also
www.fr.debian.org/lintian/reports/ is hopelessly out of date. This is BAD.
(although www.fr.debian.org seems offline at the moment, which solves
part of the problem :-)

Paul Slootman