Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer

On Tue 17 Aug 1999, goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:

> Nobody I know has / readonly or /usr readonly. Running potato and its
> rapid changes makes that undoable, but for a production system I agree
> that everything should be readonly if possible. Another usefull
> benefit is, that after a crash readonly filesystems are clean.

I once had some wierd problem with my /usr, and it got remounted
read-only. I only discovered that two weeks later, and found out why by
perusing the logs. So, having /usr readonly works fine :-)

I recently tried doing the same on Solaris (/usr readonly that is).
That can be made to work, I had thought of a procedure in case software
needs to be upgraded or whatever: remount it read-write, do whatever
needs to be done, remount readonly when done. Unfortunately, Solaris is
not capable of remounting from read-write to readonly. Argh!

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/