Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Uhm, what is root's password, by default, on a newly made Debian system?
> Are you now going to assume that the person is going to switch passwords
> before installing packages?  *cough*

I don't know.  Do you?  I remember being asked for a password during
the install.  Please tell use what Debian's default root password is,
we're all anxious to know.

>     Face it, sash can be set to a well known default password because root
> WHEN INSTALLED IS SET TO A WELL KNOWN DEFAULT PASSWORD.  SO, SMARTY-PANTS, IF
> YOU JUST USE ROOT'S PASSWORD, WHAT DO YOU HAVE?  ***A WELL KNOWN DEFAULT
> PASSWORD!!!***  Geez.  Do I have to spell it all out for you or are you going
> to eventually engage the supposed brain of yours and think for more than
> "Mmmm, must get more beer.  *BRAP*"

I would like to point out here that Steve Lamb is not a Debian developer,
and does not represent us in any way.

> >If you are spending all day long running commands as root, spend the
> >extra 1 second to type "bash" and stop complaining.
>
>     OK, so, let me get this straight.  Now you want a statically linked ash to
> be in memory while you do all your work in bash?

No, if you are short on memory you can spend 1.5 seconds to type "exec bash".

> > Nobody will be forced to install it. Just when people get lazy and say,
> > "go ahead and install the usual stuff", they will get it.
>
>     The people who get lazy.  Gee, wonder who that could be but damn near
> everyone?  Yup, you sure thought that through, didn'tcha.  Oh, and let's not
> forget that since it is marked important, IIRC, each time you go to upgrade
> and it has a new version, it will be installed by default unless you shut it
> off.  Repeatedly.  Endlessly.

This is not true.  Next time, please do some research before making bogus
claims (or better yet, refrain from making bogus claims).

>     No.  A DYNAMIC ash.  I've shot down every one of your arguements.  Now go
> away, troll.

Fancy that, you calling someone else a troll.

Richard Braakman