Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

Yes you're right. You need a static sshd to get into the system. I was
mostly responding to the first part of your message.

It's probably OK not to have a static getty, since several of them
should be already be linked and loaded--you will just have to get
your root password correct before you lose your getty. This is
probably acceptable, though I have had the experience where I've
watched my gettys go down one after another as I tried various
userids to get into a system.

I don't think you would need a static init unless you tried to reboot
the system, though I'm willing to be proven wrong. It should be linked
and loaded, and when it forks, it should carry that information.

Apache would fail to run most dynamic content if your C library
got hosed, but many other services can survive it (and if you were
using modperl or modphp you would come away unscathed). Other web servers
(such as Java based ones running servlets), databases, name service,
irc servers, and many other things don't launch sub-processes and
could survive it as well. Also, if you are running a file server, NFS
will keep exporting your existing mounts, though it will fail to
establish new ones.

So there are a substantial number of important services you might
be running where you might want live recovery.

Obviously losing your C library causes trouble, and you want to
get it back as soon as possible. On many systems live recovery is
going to be more of an "I can do it from remote and save a trip"
issue rather than a "I can keep my database and file server running"
issue. In either case, it's a win.

Not everyone needs live recovery, but I believe the cost is very small
for those who don't need it--and not everyone who needs it knows that
they do, until they need it.

Justin