Re: Debian/Corel liason?

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 02:28:21PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen Ray" wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 07:26:48 -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I have a "customer" who can't get Corel's WordPerfect to run, and he says
> > that Corel places the fault on Debian
>
> Looking at debian-user, the single most common cause of problems is that
> WordPerfect is still a libc5 application, so you need to install libc5, the
> libc5 X libs (xlib6), and possibly a few others (xpm perhaps).
>
> [Insert rant about Corel still using a C library that is obsolete (no longer
> developed or even maintained upstream, and replaced by a better one) here]

At the time WordPerfect 8 was released (Dec. 1998), the stable version
of Debian (hamm) was libc5-based.

Hopefully, since Corel is going to a Debian-based system, future
releases will be as .deb packages and dependencies will be less of a
problem.  It would have been nice to see an interim update which was a
libc6 Debian package.

Bob