Re: Debian Weekly News - August 10th, 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Paul Slootman wrote:

> On Tue 10 Aug 1999, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > Wichert Akkerman, the Debian Project Leader, [9]addressed the FHS
> > /usr/share/doc issue: "I request all developers to NOT move to the FHS
> > right now. The Technical Committe is working to resolve the issue, and
> > packages already using /usr/share/doc will likely just need to be
> > changed again when they reach a resolution.
>
> Is the phrase "NOT move to the FHS right now" meant only for the
> /usr/share/doc issue, or for everything? E.g. /usr/share/man,
> /usr/share/misc, ...
>
> As the isdnutils uploaded last week (3.0-13) was built with a new
> version of debmake that unexpectedly started putting things into

Not "unexpectedly". I announced debmake 3.6 in debian-devel-announce.
It is a good idea to read that list.

> /usr/share/doc (I got a complaint that changelog.Debian.gz wasn't in
> /usr/doc/isdnutils) and that package now has its stuff split over
> /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc as a result, I want to upload a new version
> soon which has made the transition to FHS as per the policy docs.
> However, the statement by Wichert referenced above says I shouldn't (and
> hence debmake should revert to its old behaviour!).
>
> So what is it? I can't keep up with debian-policy, I just look what's in
> the docs and that states to use /usr/share/doc ...

Sorry, but I'm *definitely* not going to change debmake to "not follow
policy yet" because then it would violate policy.

If you want to follow Wichert, use debmake from slink.
If you want to follow current policy, use debmake from potato.

You decide.

Thanks.

--
 "203c859df6bd9e78f81cf7e483c48ca2" (a truly random sig)