Re: local initialization (/root/setup.sh, /bin/setup.sh)

In article <cistron.19990812224651.A11752@WyrmWeyr.frop.org>,
Nathaniel Smith  <njs@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 at 12:26:36AM -0300, Julio wrote:
>> The same file on slink calls /root/setup.sh. It seems these scripts are
>> reserved for particular configurations on each machine. But they don't seem
>> to be a good solution for the local initialization problem. The FHS doesn't
>> appear to have a proposal to address this problem. Would be ok for debian
>> to run-parts a dir as /etc/rc.local from /etc/init.d/rcS?

That would be a bad idea. The system has only started booting when
/etc/init.d/rcS runs, usually things in rc.local expect that the
system is fully booted (rc.local always runs as the last thing in the
boot process on xBSD).

Besides, if you really want to run something at that point, something
like /etc/rc.local already exists. It's called /etc/rcS.d....
But do put the script itself in /etc/init.d and use update-rc.d

>They aren't for machine specific configuration; they're used when installing:

Exactly.

>If you want to do machine specific configuration, I'm not sure what the
>approved way is.  Personally, I created /etc/init.d/rc.local to hold them,
>and used update-rc.d rc.local defaults to make sure that it gets run right,
>but I don't know if there's a better way to do this.  Thoughts?

That is _the_ way, but I want to mention 2 things:

1. "update-rc.d rc.local defaults 90" would be better
2. Make sure you check "$1" for start/stop like /etc/init.d/skeleton does

Mike.
--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
	-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"