Re: Depenency Bugs in Debian Packages (long)

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 10:14:22PM -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.990810103846.343F-100000@Wakko.deltatee.com> you wrote:
>
> > When RSA looses its patent, will BIND become free again or will someone
> > have to rewrite the RSA library?
>
> The latter.

Well, there do already exist free implementations of RSA (see gpg-rsa, for
instance).  You just can't use them in the United States without violating
the terms of the RSA patent.

> > What about export concerns?
>
> There are none that I know of.  The crypto is for authentication only.

US export regulations care nothing about what crypto is used for, only
about the key length.  RSA is much stronger than current US
regulations permit for unlicensed (by the Commerce Dept. or whoever is
handling it this week) export.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is a
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    growing closer.  It beats the hell out