Re: rc?.d policy?

*- On 10 Aug, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote about "Re: rc?.d policy?"

> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Brian Servis wrote:
>
>> But if a user removes the S99xdm link in rc2.d then the next time xdm is
>> upgraded it will be added again. This issue of the package managment
>> tools over writing what the system administrator sets has been debated
>> before, in favor of the system administrator(Recall the /usr/doc/*.gz
>> issue recently on -devel). This is what I was describing.  Mike, or
>> anyone else, can you clarify why Debian does not have a destinction
>> between user runlevels for things like networking, X, etc?
>>

> I do not believe that is the case.  The upgrade of xdm will run
> update-rc.d, which will see that there are already symlinks installed and
> exit without changing anything.  That is, unless the -f option is passed
> to update-rc.d, which should probably not be the case in any package.
>
> This assumes that there is at least one symlink for this package somewhere
> in rc*.d.  If there are no symlinks at all (why upgrade the package if you
> don't use it?) then update-rc.d will create them.
>
> I could be wrong, but this seems to be my experience.
> noah

Ok, perhaps I have misunderstood the man page section:

       If  any  files  /etc/rcrunlevel.d/[SK]??name already exist
       then update-rc.d does nothing.  This is so that the system
       administrator  can rearrange the links, provided that they
       leave at least one link remaining,  without  having  their
       configuration overwritten.

I took this to mean that if a link existed for one particular runlevel
then it would not be modified, but if a link did not exist for that
runlevel and the update-rc.d command line was asking for it (without
-f) then it would be created.

I stand corrected. Sorry.

I still think Debian should have a default policy on runlevels for X,
networking, etc.

--
Brian