Re: Allowing 2 different packages the same name

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 01:32:53AM +1000, Timshel Knoll" wrote:
> I'm packaging a GNOME applet (netleds) and I was wondering
> what the general consensus for a package name would be -
>
> netleds
>  or
> netleds-applet?
>
> The only other packages in the distribution which I have noticed
> have applets in them (other than the gnome packages themselves) are
> gnotes and gnomeicu (which is more than an applet, anyway).
>
> ideas???

How about allowing 2 different packages the same name? This would solve the
problem with lsh, the ssh replacement and shell. What was also kind of a
problem for me is that all packaged perl modules are called libmodule-perl. I
only figured that out a while after downloading some of them.

The whole packaging system would have to be modified for something like this
so I guess the cost outweighs the benefits. I can see package names clashing
more and more in the future though.

> Thanks.
> --
> Timshel Knoll <tiknoll@cs.rmit.edu.au>
>               <timshel@ozemail.com.au>
> First year Computer Science, RMIT

> Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
> pub  2048/63E2CB1B 1999/07/29 Timshel Knoll <timshel@ozemail.com.au>
> sig       63E2CB1B             Timshel Knoll <timshel@ozemail.com.au>
> sig       8AAE5741             (Unknown signator, can't be checked)
>                               Timshel Knoll <tiknoll@cs.rmit.edu.au>
> sig       63E2CB1B             Timshel Knoll <timshel@ozemail.com.au>
> 1 matching key found.

Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee