Re: Debian Xconfigurator?

>> > Neither do I, and I wish I could find some.  The formula for modelines that
>> > actually come out looking right seems to be a jealously guarded secret.
>> > What club do you have to join to get this information?
>>
>> The file is VideoModes.doc by Eric Raymond.
>
>While this file is a wonderful source of information, it does not answer my
>question.  It says:
>
>> Q. The example you gave is not a standard screen size, can I use it?
>>
>> A. Why not?  There is NO reason whatsoever why you have to use 640x480,
>> 800x600, or even 1024x768.
>
>I don't think that's the whole truth.  I do use "non-standard" resolutions
>all the time (who would imagine that in this day of empowerment through PC's
>that most users have no choices between 1280 and 1600?); but I have to
>battle weird-shaped, out-of-center images and moire patterns first.  When I
>pick from the drop-down box on windows, or stick with the (even more
>limited) modes offered by xf86config, I get a nice, clean rectangle in the
>middle of my screen.  I just want to understand why.

Here is the best way to configure X.  Boot from a kernel with FrameBuffer
compiled in and use a Video card that supports this (all new video cards will
support VESA-FB if nothing else).
Run "fbset -xres", "fbset -yres", and "fbset -pixclock" to tweak the display
until it looks really good (NB if you go to far and set a mode that the kernel
doesn't like then just switch to another VT and do "fbset -a whatever" to fix
it).
When you've got your frame buffer set just the way you like it then you do
"fbset >> /etc/fb.modes" and then "fbset -x" to generate all the numbers for
your XF86Config file.
Do it this way and it is so easy to setup your screen in an optimal fashion.
The only limitation is that fbset when changing resolution works in multiples
of the size of a character (it's setting a text mode) so you may find that the
X config it produces is up to 8 pixels away from the optimal configuration for
your monitor and graphics card.
I've just setup a machine in this fashion.  It was the easiest X configuration
I've ever done, and the results were the best too.  I couldn't use any higher
resolution without buying more video RAM, and I couldn't use a higher refresh
rate without my monitor turning itself off.

I suggest that some X configuration scripts based around this would be the way
to go.  I plan to write some myself for my clients.  If someone wants to
package them then let me know.

--
This is the noise that keeps me awake