Re: libc6 has no sources??

At 15:36 -0400 1999-07-31, Daniel Burrows wrote:
 Here's the 'real' problem.  I discovered that the libc that is used by the
slink boot floppy is a little over half the size of the system libc.  Assuming
that glibc2.1 didn't have that much bloat over glibc2.0, I decided that the
boot-floppies version must have custom compilation options to reduce the size.
So I decided to get the libc source myself and see if there was anything obvious
I could do.  My first try was:

It's not compilation options, it's a special script in the boot-floppies themselves that creates a shared library composed of only the symbols programs on the rescue disk need. glibc 2.1 is sufficiently different that the "library reduction" script broke.
I have just gotten it working with glibc 2.1.

bluegreen:~/tinytim> apt-get source libc6
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for glibc
Exit 100

 at which point I thought, "eh?"  I then went to packages.debian.org/libc6
and noticed that it reported 'no sources found'. Directly accessing the archive
via ftp confirms that, in fact, there are no libc sources available in
dists/unstable/main/source/base. However, there *is* a source package available in dists/unstable/main/source/libs! Whose bug is this? libc6? ftp.debian.org?

It's a bug in the archive tool `dpkg-scansources', it barfs on glibc's gpg-signed .dsc file and thus it gets left out of the Sources file. Someone posted a fix for this, but no one's applied it to the archive's copy of dpkg-scansources.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>