Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian and becoming a registered Debian developer

Le Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 10:01:09AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow écrivait:
> Because it might be a new package altogether. In case of bugfixes
> looking at the changes is enough and the maintainer I know did that
> for some bugs I tackeled and gave me hints how to fix it as well.

There are really few new debian only packages. And when this is the case,
I guess that the future maintainer is the upstream author and certainly
don't have bad intentions.

> mentorship yes, sponsorship no. Sponsorship, in my eyes, would mean
> that the maintainer is responsible for the stuff his sponsory (or
> whatever you call him) does, since the sponsory can't upload anything
> in his own name. Any bugs or bad habits in the uploads will shoot back
> at the maintainer sponsoring.

Don't think for the sponsors, they can think themselves. There are sponsors
for many future developers. If you're not interested by this solution,
stop arguing and continue waiting.

> Bud it would draw a bad light on the sponsor as well. New maintainer
> could be prevented to do non-maintainer uploads or could be forced to
> upload to a different area (e.g. experimental) until their work has

FTP maintainers are already overloaded, no need to give them more work.

Cheers,
--
Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/