Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian and becoming a registered Debian developer

Le Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 01:14:05PM -0400, Carl Mummert écrivait:
> I don't understand why an application, if sent in proper format, could not
> be automatically processed, provided that it is signed by the pgp key of a
> known developer.  Of course, there is no 'proper format' since this has
> always been done by hand... but since the list of things that need to be
> in an application is so short, I cannot see why it is at all difficult.

Because Debian is something great, that must stay great. We need to check
if the developer is able to do his task. We must be able to check that
he fully agrees with our views about free software.

Debian's quality is important. That's why we can't afford to grow
too fast. We're already the biggest distribution.

Theses concerns have been raised recently by the new-maintainer team.
The new maintainer team did not take any decision. But as is stands,
people who want to correct release critical bugs, who want to adopt
orphaned packages and so on, are the more likely to be processed first
because they are those that can help in improving Debian's quality right
now. That's why you read this advice on some of the lists ...

Other developers (that want to package new programs) will also be
processed (we do not want to descriminate people) but maybe later.

> You want to make it hard for new maintainers to join debian.  Moreover,

No.

> you want them to do what YOU want them to do (WNPP), rather than

We don't want anything. We'd like that they help us where we need help. If
you don't want to help in this particular area, then don't.

> whatever else they are interested in.  If they don't want to do what YOU
> want, then they are not allowed to play.

Not yet while we have about 300 release critical bugs and more than 3500
packages to update (for policy 3.0.0 compliance).

But they'll be able to play later.

> I can see the benefits you think that you gain from this.  But I do not
> think that you consider the cost of potential effort that is thwarted
> when people find it difficult to join and go elsewhere where they
> are welcomed rather than shunned or marginalized.

You're welcomed to help ! :-) You'll be welcome to package software
yourself later ... there are already 500 persons who can package new software,
you'll find somebody that will do it for you anyway ... :)

Anyway, as already said, nothing has been decided. We only discussed this.
And my proposal is a part of this discussion.

Cheers,
--
Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/