Re: Broken dependencies in current state of perl upgrade

"Darren O. Benham" wrote:
  >On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 10:33:36PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
  >> Unfortunately, I have to, because I maintain a perl-dependent package.
  >> Hence my grief...
  >
  >Not unless you have a per-5.005 dependent package.  You package(s) can
  >safely depend on perl|perl5 and/or you should be able to safely "apt-get
  >install perl"... atleast I was able to last week..

What makes a package depend on a particular version of perl?  I have
adopted the changes made by Raphael Hertzog in his NMU.  That put the
dependency ${perl:Depends} in the control file, which translates to a
versioned dependency on perl-5.005.  As far as I know, there's nothing in
the package itself to require a particular version of perl, but I don't
understand the ramifications of this change.

So, can I remove this versioned dependency, depend on perl|perl5 and
build with perl5.004 without making the package incompatible with perl
5.005?

(The package in question is libpgperl from postgresql.)

--
      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
     "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed