Re: [RFC] netstd

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Johnie Ingram wrote:

> "Carl" == Carl Mummert <mummert@cs.wcu.edu> writes:
>
> Carl> Now, I can obviously just comment out the offending lines in
> Carl> /etc/inetd.conf but this is much more error-prone than dpkg -r.
> Carl> Does anyone else think that this is a problem?
>
> Hmmm, it would be nice if rsh/rlogin/rwhatever were a separate package
> that could be omitted in favor of ssh....

ssh does ask you if you would like it to divert automatically, and to turn
off rsh..etc

btw. Take a look at the update-inetd script in potato.  You should use
that to turn off services like rsh in inetd.conf.  Perhaps a request when
its first installed if you want to turn off some possible insecure
protocols.

Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org>
Ringworld Associates ( http://www.ringworld.org/ )
612.494.6664