Re: IDEA to SERIOUSLY reduce download times!

On 7 Jul 1999, Steve Dunham wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> > There is a faint hope.. The best way to go about this is to design a new
> > transfer protocol that can do the rsync method on the INTERIOR of gzip
> > compressed files, this is not a trivial thing, but if someone can
> > demonstrate it working then there is hope :>
>
> (Actually, the original poster is asking to download diffs of the
> source, which we essentially provide already.)

My comments still hold just as well for source :>

> Als, xdelta already does binary diffs of gzipped files (it used to do
> .deb and .rpm, but this feature was removed.)  It is available as a
> library.

It is easy to do this when you have both versions side by side and don't
care about the resulting md5sum of the compressed output, doing it over a
mechanism like rsync is more challenging and much more usefull, who wants
to store patches!

I'm surprised your results are so poor, 50% doesn't sound nearly high
enough, particularly for such a minor change in a package like perl which
contains mostly text files..

Jason