Re: new policy revision

On debian-policy, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Edward" == Edward Betts <edward@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Edward> How about /usr/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.text.gz?
>
>         Done.
>
>  Edward> The locations of debian-policy and the packaging manual do
>  Edward> not meet the FHS, they should be changed to /usr/share/doc/
>  Edward> not /usr/doc/.
>
>         I was thinking about that. One of the problems with that is
>  that this may mean that the policy docs may not be visisble to dwww
>  or http://localhost/doc/debian-policy/, unless we have duplicate
>  versions. I would not like to make this move unilaterally, and would
>  like the whole group to think about this (we can then do a smallish
>  proposal if we do so decide).

Have Standard-Version: 3.0.0 packages put the docs in /usr/share/doc/<package>
with a symlink /usr/doc/<package> pointing to ../share/doc/<package>.

The only problem I see is web servers not following symlinks, is that the
default?

Once all packages have moved their documentary to /usr/share/doc and /usr/doc
is just a directory full of symlinks the web servers will be pointing at
/usr/share/doc and packages can start to drop the /usr/doc/<package> symlinks.

--
I consume, therefore I am