Re: Number of Debian packages [was Re: iMatix Open Source software]

On 30 Jun 1999, Jason Henry Parker wrote:

> Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 10:14:45AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>
> > > Before packaging them, I suggest to look at alternatives. The
> > > number of packages in potato increases in a frightening way (yes,
> > > I know it's partly my fault).
> > Did we ever intend to restrict the number of packages in Debian ?
> > If we've got 8 httpd packages I see, except for license or technical
> > (e.g.  security) issues, no reasons why we shouldn't allow more
> > httpds in the distribution ? Debian was always about choice and as
> > long as somebody is properly maintaining the packages I don't think
> > we should change.
>
> I don't have any problem with the number of packages in Debian, and my
> system takes quite some time to search, list, install and remove them,
> I can assure you.  ;)

I would second this. Probably, I would be glad to seee number of packages
increased by providing alternative builds:
For each of sound-aware application provide three packages -
for bare /dev/dsp, for NAS and for esd. Each of them would be smaller
than say, current version of festival or timidity, which supports more
than one way of output, and it would be easy for people to pick ones they
need.

Separate print plugin for gimp from gimp (let gimp suggest it), and
provide separate plugin for each print spooling system Debian have.

If more than one version of tcl is still supported (and it probably
should, becouse I cannot expect anybody to jump to 8.2 as soon as
David would package it), provide complete set of extensions for each of
them. For now, Debian doesn't have TclX for example, becouse it is
provided
only for 7.6. Who would write on 7.6 without binary I/O and namespaces?

Recently I also have suggested to provide alternative versions of Tk 8.0 -
one for interface goodies only (as it is currently packaged) and other
for real work with graphics - with dash patch.

But I'm affraid that if all this wishes become reality, full distribution
would occupy more than ten CDs and it would be pain to find source
package
on one of 5 source CD-s. We'll have to write dselect-source.
Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Programmer			Office:7-(095)-132-0878
Institute for Commerce 		Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Engineering                     http://www.ice.ru/~vitus