Re: Postfix as default MTA?

"Steve Lamb" <morpheus@rpglink.com> writes:
> On 28 Jun 1999 09:05:21 -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> >At the same time, I also think it makes sense for Debian to recommend
> >as its default mailer something that's up to handling our listserver's
> >load---which we can't do with qmail, and none of the other options
> >seem up to the load.
> What, exactly, is wrong with Exim?  IIRC the reason the list server
> hasn't been switched over was due to non-technical reasons.  IE,
> making sure we lost no mail in the process, not that the current
> default mailer couldn't handle the load.

Perhaps I misremember, then.  I thought the issue was one of load.

> Simply put, there are no figures for most alternative mailers under
> heavy loads as most places run sendmail.  My largest list, however,
> of ~230 people (yeah, laugh it up) runs quite snappily under Exim
> with a max allowed 25 connections on a 5k/20k cable link.  That's 5k
> up.  Most of the addresses are delivered to within the first minute.

OK.  At the University of Miami School of Law, they have postfix
running a mostly local mailing list with more than 2000 users (the
entire student population).  Most deliveries happen in under a minute,
without the load becoming excessive.

I'll tell you what I like about postfix---like qmail, it's got a
segmented architecture, which means that local delivery doesn't
require forking a large process so that it can in turn exec a small
one.  Before I was able to move the above mailing lists to something
other than sendmail, sending a single mail would bring the box to its
knees as sendmail spawned a bazillion copies of itself, so it could
exec deliver.  I get the impression exim does the same---which worries
me.  Is my worry unfounded?  Possibly.  I tried exim once, and
disliked the configuration---I found sendmail+M4 to be easier.

As for heavy loads, as someone else pointed out, postfix delivers all
the freebsd mailing lists, plus some ietf or internic stuff---I
honestly forget.  Weitse can provide other information, I suspect---he
did a survey a month or two ago while lobbying IBM to change the
license.

Mike.